Route: Robertstown to Miltown
Summary of the Route: Robertstown to Milltown
Total Distance (approx): 8 miles, 14km
Terrain: Grassy and flat
Walking Route: approx 8miles, 14km
- Leaving from Robertstown cottages, turn left out the gate and walk to the stone Binn’s Bridge (near Charlie Weld’s pub) at the start of the village. Cross over (be careful of oncoming traffic) to the opposite side of the canal, signed ‘The Barrow Way’. Walk on keeping to the Canal bank road passing some local nature art on your right hand side.
- At the Fenton stone bridge and Lock 19 cross over the bridge and turn immediately left to continue walking down the canal on the same side as before (the right side). You will see the ‘Barrow Way’ signs pointing in this direction too.
- At the next stone bridge marked ‘Robertstown 2 km’ you will see the ‘Travellers Rest’ pub across the road. Cross over this bridge and walk on the left side of the canal (opposite side).
- At the next hump backed stone bridge Huband Bridge (signed on the left hand side, hard to see) take the turn left (don’t go over the bridge) and continue on the left side to what is known as the Milltown Feeder. You will see there is a wooden chalet and green mobile home at this turn and you’ll be walking past them. Continue on. Walk past a wooden bridge on your right and again continue on.
- At the next ivy covered stone ‘Pluckerstown’ bridge, cross over to the right hand side as the path is easier to walk on. Look left as you walk further on to see the Hill of Allen & its tower.
- At the next concrete bridge, cross over the main road and continue walking on the left side of the canal bank. You will pass another ivy covered stone bridge and ruin of an old mill on your right hand side. Keep walking, nearly there.
- Continue on to Milltown and to The Hanged Man’s pub for a very welcome pint. The walk ends here at The Hanged Man’s pub in Milltown. (It is recommended that you leave a car here in the carpark of the Hanged Man’s pub to travel home or to arrange lifts from here) If this is not possible we will try to arrange lifts back to Robertstown or you can get taxi’s, see numbers are below.
Getting to the Start Point – Tara
This is only possible by car or taxi from Kildare
Kildare Cabs (Kildare) +353 45 530814 / 530815
Tully Cabs (Kildare) + 353 86 801 1676
Please note that there is NO driver today as we walk on the canal which has no car access.