Route: Dundalk to Ardee
Summary of the Route: Dundalk to Ardee
Total Distance (approx): 13.5 miles, 21.6km
Terrain: the footpath of minor 'L' roads Paved and short grassy section to view Cúchulainn’s Stone
Start: Dundalk Tourist Office, Market Square
Knockbridge (shop, church)
Louth Village (shop)
Walking Route: approx 13.5miles, 21km
- We meet at the Tourist Office on Market Square, Dundalk. Registration for anyone joining the pilgrimage will take place here. We walk from Market Square to Park Street, down Park Street and up Anne Street to The Crescent and we will take the R171 Ardee Road towards Knockbridge (5km). Continue on this straight road walking on the right side pavement.
- Outside the town at a fork in the road walk straight on the right hand side and follow the R171 to Knockbridge and Louth. (Also signposted to Knockabbey Castle and the Táin Trail).
- NOTE: There is no footpath at this section so stay right walking single file close to the verge facing oncoming traffic. ONLY if approaching a blind corner cross over to the left hand side of the road until past the corner then recross back to the right hand side.
- Outside KNOCKBRIDGE (approx 4.5km just past the L31671 sign on the left), continue walking straight and begin looking left for the green sign for CLOCHAFARMORE (Cloch an Fhir Mhoír – the Stone of the Big Man). The sign is old and opposite a cream coloured ‘Heather Cottage’ and PJ Castle building. Climb over the stile and duck under the electric fence CAREFULLY. We will do Ceremony here in the field at the Stone sacred site.
- Back on the R171 road continue walking straight into the village of KNOCKBRIDGE (Chnoic Bhride – the Hill of Brigid). There is a beautiful stained glass window of St Brigid in the Knockbridge Church.
- Follow the signs out of KNOCKBRIDGE to LOUTH VILLAGE (still the R171) continue on the straight road. Outside Louth Village keep on the R171 and follow the signs to TALLANSTOWN (ignore a conflicting sign to Ardee at The Hill pub, follow the signs to Tallanstown 2km and Ardee 8km) straight through towards Ardee. At Tallanstown turn left at the village to follow the signs all the way to Ardee. Note the magnificent ‘Helmet’ statue on the way into Ardee past the roundabout.
Get directions on how to get to Dundalk