Route: Ardee to Slane
Summary of the Route: Ardee to Slane
Total Distance (approx): 12 miles, 19km
Terrain: the footpath of minor 'L' roads and pavement on more major routes.
Walking Route: approx 12miles, 19km
- Turn right out of the Meeting of the Ford car park. Walk straight to the end of the town & at the crossroads turn right & walk by the church past ‘MediaSpa’. Turn left before the bridge after approx 300m. (at the ‘Nearbuy’ shop). Walk straight through the Housing estate & at the last house veer right & to a downwards past fields.
- This is the L1264(3) a long straight road to Slane. You will pass many crossroads, continue straight past:
- 1. Ballapousta. Stop to look if possible at the beautiful stained glass window of Brigid on the right handside aisle.
- 2. Smarmore
- 3. Grangegeeth; passing the derelict Grangegeeth Inn Pub on your left. Continue straight.
- At 14km there is a crossroads with a Famine Stone on the left & a red brick cottage on the right.
- Continue straight onto the N2 into Slane Village. Note the turn right up to the Hill of Slane for later when we will have Ceremony there from 5-6pm.
- Walk down into, relax & enjoy this very picturesque & historic village. The bridge at the end of the village over the River Boyne (Boann) is spectacular (we’ll be driving by it on the way to Newgrange Lodge later).
Getting to the Start Point Ardee. Check bus timetables