Route: Miltown to Kildare
Summary of the Route: Miltown to Kildare
Total Distance (approx): 5 miles, 9km
Terrain: Paved: Minor roads (L-roads), Grass verges or footpaths on more major roads, Wooden Boards in Pollardstown Fen, Grass in The Curragh and at Brigid’s Garden Stream.
Start: Pollardstown Fen
Rathbride Healing Stone via The Curragh
Kildare Heritage Centre (Market Sq, Kildare Town) (shops, cafes, restaurant in the area)
St. Brigid’s Fire (in the grounds of St. Brigid’s Cathedral)
Brigid’s Healing Well
Walking Route: approx 5miles, 9km
- From the Pollardstown Fen car park follow the path to the Boardwalk start and loop around this magnificent wild nature reserve back onto the path & return to the carpark (approx 20 mins). From the carpark turn right & walk on taking the first left turn (there is a Pollardstown Horse Feed sign nearby) onto a small road L7023.
- Cross over the stone railway bridge for your first view of the Curragh of Kildare. At the T junction turn right and follow the sign for Rathangan R401. Cross back over another stone railway bridge onto the Upper Curragh (be careful of traffic on this bridge.)
- Spread out on the left side & wander this magical plain. Keep the road within your sight line. At the white stones at Cloonmore Lodge cross over the road to wander on the right side of the Curragh to Rathbhride Cross (signed Rathangan/Kildare/Allenwood) & the Healing Stone.
- Leaving Rathbhride Crosss continue on towards Kildare by wandering on the Curragh between the road (within your sightline) & the wood chip horse track. When you come to the end of the white rails & meet a dirt track veer right back onto the road to pass the Cill Dara Golf club. Go through the gate beside the cattle grid to leave the Curragh. (Note there is a sign to Kildare facing the wrong way here. Follow the Cattle Grid sign to Kildare.)
- You are now walking the last part of your Pilgrimage into Kildare past houses & over the stone railway bridge, past the Solas Bhríde house at Dara Park into Kildare’s Market Square for a Welcome by the Brigidine Sisters & Tom from the Heritage Centre in the Market House.
- Walk across the Square to Brigid’s Cathedral and the Fire Temple in the grounds of the cemetary. Return to the Market Square and find Bride Street, walk straight along Bride Street to the new Solas Bhride Centre Site. Continue along the road past the Solas Bhride Centre, on the left you will find the Healing Well and on the right, you will find the turn for the Garden Well.
Getting to the Start Point – Tara
You can drive to Pollardstown Fen and leave your car there or you can leave your car in Kildare Town and transport will be arranged by Brigid’s Way to bring people to Pollardstown Fen.
The easiest way to get to Pollardstown Fen is coming from Kildare (take Exit 13 onto the N7). Drive into the centre of Kildare and at the traffic lights at the Square turn left onto the R415. Travel towards Milltown and before Milltown you will see a sign on your right hand side for Pollardstown Fen (it’s a very small road). Drive to the carpark on your left hand side where you can park. Alternatively you can park your car in Kildare town (no parking fee on Sundays) and get a taxi out to Pollardstown Fen. (see numbers below) and arrange a taxi to take you back into Kildare town to pick up your car.
Kildare Cabs (Kildare) +353 45 530814 / 530815
Tully Cabs (Kildare) + 353 86 801 1676